Monday, May 24, 2010

Devastations


It is about that time of year and I know you know what I am talking about. It's the time of year that Lake CDs are due and that can only mean one thing ...

My 2011 Lake CD is half done

And there is a Devastations song on the playlist. They are a band from Australia that are deeply influenced by Nick Cave in both sound and content and while I am not a huge fan of Nick Cave, this band really does it for me. Lead singer Conrad Standish possesses a delightfully brooding style that reminds me of a sober Mark Lanegan singing songs as a lounge act (that was supposed to be a compliment but I am not sure it ever got there.)

It is an interesting band in that it is trying to do different things as they continue their career. Their current album has a more electronic feel (cool kids call it ambient) while the album that hooked me has been described (accurately, I suppose) as outback-gothic. Whatever the style or genre, it is the vocal stylings of Standish that makes these songs stand up. His is truly one of the unique and underrated voices in alternative rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment