Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Devil Makes Three

I cannot get enough of this band right now: The Devil Makes Three is this past week's somewhat tardy NMM selection brought to you by Pancho the delinquent traveling blogger. But this is so good, you'll forgive me. They have some tracks posted on myspace as well, which is what I got hooked on (the first track, called All Hail, definitely sounds like they are saying Aw Hell, and I don't think it is an accident). In the great tradition of Johnny Cash and Old Crow Medicine Show, most of their songs are about drinking heavily, however singing about alcoholism with a delightful trotting melody really takes the edge off. There's some stand-up bass, some harmonizing, some toe-tapping, and some wordplay. Who doesn't love that combination? Who I ask you?

No comments:

Post a Comment