Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bonus Wednesday- Hayes Carll


I have been familiar with Hayes Carll since picking up a Todd Snider concert bootleg in which he was the opener. He is in the same vein as Todd, country-ish singer-songwriter that is sensitive and smart enough to appeal to all of us. Not as good as Todd but as knock-offs go, pretty solid. I can listen to him easily.

But since I don't with regularity, it was a nice surprise to hear him referenced on a random radio show. Actually, he wasn't referenced. His song, "She Left Me For Jesus," was. I didn't know it was Carll until I Googled the title and now you are all caught up.

Truth be told, I am not sure how good this song is. This is not his best work be a log shot. If this were the only song you listened to, you would dismiss Carll as a comedian rather than musical artist. He is definitely not that. However, it is impossible to dismiss the line, "If I ever find Jesus, I'm kickin' his ass."

No comments:

Post a Comment