Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Perhapst

I am officially ready to release my first volley in this NMM forum. While agonizing day and night and night and day (to the point that it is now Wednesday as opposed to the promised Monday) over how to best announce my presence with authority, I have decided to debut with a band by the name of (drum roll please).....

Perhapst.

Perhapst is led by a guy named John Moen who has been in bands around the Northwest for some time now and currently finds himself as the drummer for The Decemberists. This album sounds nothing like anything produced by his money band. It is pleasant indie pop that features Moen's sweet-ish vocals but has just enough bite and rock (it ain't noise pollution) to keep it from being a dreamy kind of generic indie folk album. The twist being the subtle use of pedal steel to give some songs a little bit of a twang that is sadly missing from much of the music emanating from Portland these days.

It is good, if not entirely great. It hasn't changed my life.

Yet.

I just realized. I don't have to post a comment. I'm an author! I can post a post. Pancho here...
I like this much more than I thought I would based on your description over the phone. "Cloud-like nebulous" or something similar came up in the conversation, and that is, for me, always a red flag. I don't love the singing, but I like the groove. I agree with you though, it is a burn it record (to rip off even more real radio shows about music...)

1 comment:

  1. Nice job Coach Moore!!! I hyper link? A picture? We are ready for the big time. Sound opinions, move over!

    ReplyDelete