Sunday, September 19, 2010

Some morsels of the MFNW last week....

I arrived in POrtland about one week before an awesome music festival packed full of performances by bands I know and love, and by bands I don't know and might love, and bands I know and don't love. I still wanted to see them all. I couldn't though. Festivals in general stress me out. My desire to optimize is too strong. I can effectively triangulate the shortest distances between 8 million venues in a new city, and there are inevitably bands I LOVE playing at the same time. It isn't fun for me. So I bought individual tickets (you know, like in the old days) and went on Friday and Saturday night to one venue (each night) and saw 7 bands. I will talk about 2 of them for NMM....

Dan Mangan
, from Vancouver, playing with a fantastic band and really delighting me beyond expectations. The finale was a song called Robots (it's on his myspace page) that was a giant singalong with Dan in the crowd. I am a total sucker for a singalong. The recorded version isn't quite as awesome, but it gives you a good entree.

and

The Portland Cello Project, an experimental, dizzying, audacious, fusion of classical instrumentation and (often) hip hop. On their Myspace page, there some okay stuff, but when they played behind Crooked Fingers, it was pure beauty (not on their site).

I suggest you check them both out, preferably live.

No comments:

Post a Comment