Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Whiskey Folk Ramblers

This band is 1 part mariachi, 1 part klezmer, 1 part punk, 1 part jug band. I saw them last Saturday night in Ft. Worth as the headliners in a trio of great bands at a club in Ft. Worth (where they hail from) and was so delighted. The first band was called Oil Boom (check them out here-- Death of You is the best song they've got posted I think...). The second band was Spooky Folk, which I love and have blogged about previously (but you can now buy their album if you would like here). And the third band was the Whiskey Folk Ramblers, who I had heard of but never heard. You should listen, or better yet go see them live. Here are some of the things I like about them:
-the guy's voice is like butter
-they have a trumpet player, which I love
-they have an accordian, which I also love
-they sing a lot of story songs
-they are the kind of band that makes you want to dance
-they've been described as folk-noire (and I love new musical genre names)

No comments:

Post a Comment